Thursday, August 4, 2011

When the Tiny Adventures Began

This one is going to be about my husband and I. Sorry that it's going to be a little long but I didn't feel that any part I coudl leave out, just sorta explains where we were, where we went and where we are now, plus a few big moments in between. When I have more time, I will break down each base and the adventures that we had there, hoping that I can remember them!

My husband is amazing mostly because he manages to make me fall more in love with him everyday.  It's not one of those sappy things either, it's just pure love, that runs deep, calm and wonderful.  That's not to say that we don't fight or argue, get irritated and wanna 'slap em in the face' *using the voice of the cop on cloudy with a chance of meatballs*  but once those moments are over (actually very rare moments thankfully, unless we are talking about motorcycles and sports cars) we are just a bit stronger and more aware of what the other really wants.

My husband is a great man, I mean a wonderfully great man.  He has served his country well, a step we chose to make together to better our lives, and it has, financially, emotionally and socially.  We have met so many wonderful people who dedicate their lives to our freedom.  Now he is on his way to do something for himself and for us, to make our lives even more full.

I want to start at the beginning though, way back.  June 2003.  I was a manager at our hometown Wendy's, making decent money for a girl who barely graduated high school (more on that in another post, I am almost positive of it).  I had been working there for about 2 years or so.  M, just started working there a few months prior.  He was 17, summer before his senior year.  "just a kid" in my eyes since I had already gradated the summer before.  Just a kid who cleans my grill, listens very well, is a bit OCD about his work, did I mention listens very well?  He was a damn hard worker.  Everyone wanted him on their shift.  Not a normal punk high school kid.

Started going to a local "restaurant" after work with a few people, sometimes he would come and sometimes he would not.

One of our other employees said "you know he likes you".   Me "What, that's silly, he is still in high school"  Guy says "well I think you should give him s hot".  Me, "What?, really? Nah, I am not talking to no boys, they get on my nerves right now..blah blah blah blah blah"

One night M had asked me to come hang out after work.  I am not sure why I agreed, and really I think that I told him I wasn't sure if I was coming or not.  Went home, showered changed, and came back up.  That night we hung out the entire night, one of the guys that was there (just the 3 of us) left early, a lot earlier.  So it was just M and I. 

That's when I realized that I liked him, REALLY liked him and how much of a good guy he really was.  2 days later he asked me to be his girlfriend.  I actually had to debate it because I couldn't see past his age.  I decided that I owed it to myself to date a good guy, a real good guy, with goals, hopes and dreams.  Not one that would rather party hard all night long, drop out of school, or be arrested for some stupid crap.  I still don't understand why it was such a hard choice for me.  I think mostly because I knew that I could love him, and it could last forever, was I ready for that?  I took the chance and told him yes. 

Fast forward a few months later and we are in love, flat out in love and nothing is gonna stop us.  Talks of marriage and babies and goals in life.  He has always had wonderful goals, and actually tries to make them happen, the right way.  Not some get rich quick scheme. 

December rolls around and we talk about babies some more.  February, PREGNANT!  Wow that was fast! But we were more than excited that there was no issue with getting pregnant.  Although, it was not an easy pregnancy, at 11 weeks Dr's at the E.R told me I was having a miscarriage.  I have never in my life felt so low, depressed and terrified but M, was steady as a Rock, my rock.  I was sobbing, almost in hysterics at some points.  I won't deny that but he kept me calm and steady.  Turns out we weren't loosing our precious baby after all.  I had placenta preveria and was having bleeding due to that.  Stupid , stupid stupid E.R Dr's. 

So, he decides I need a vacation a few months into the pregnancy, right after he graduated high school we took a trip to Florida, I fell in love.  He tricked me, he had always talked about moving here and I never wanted to leave my town.  NEVER! I loved it, I still love it.  However, he changed my mind with one simple vacation, where we just focused on us, had a hotel that was across the street from the beach and hung out there most of the time.  I fell in love with Florida, I was at peace, not sure if it was because of him or the beach, or the fact that K kicked me for the first time one our way down there.  He just knew that if he could get me down there I would change my mind.

This was our first real adventure, starting life on our own, taking real vacations and road trips and a baby on the way, but it always seemed that's how it was supposed to be.  We had many talks about our future and what we wanted to do/be.  Working at Wendy's for life was NOT part of that plan.  Even though by the time K was born he was a manager as well it just wasn't enough for either of us, not enough time for our new baby and not enough time for each other.  We got married and not long later I quit work, to be home for her and him and he enrolled in the delayed entry program for the US Air Force. He got impatient after a few months and we eventually moved to my parents house down in SE MO. We waited almost a year from the time he signed up for a job to open up for him but it was well worth the wait, because he ended up being an electrician, an exterior electrician.

Dec 05 he got shipped off to basic training.  My heart broke.

That's when our second adventure came, K and I moved to TX to be with him during his tech school (when they learn how to do their actual job).  Wichita Falls TX.  Wasn't bad, not a whole lot out there and the summer sun will scorch the crap out of your skin but it was just temporary because we had orders for Okinawa Japan.  Yep, here came the next adventure, followed by many many more. 

Gonna have to sum some of it up for now and details later but Okinawa was like a  honeymoon for us! Took a lot of adjusting for each of us of course but it was amazing. Beautiful island that we hope to get back to someday.  His military 'career' began.  He worked hard, studied even harder, not just for the military but at college as well.  We had been trying for another baby for a long time, and that was a major heart breakers as well.  M got orders for Iraq, and I got pregnant.  Figures huh, but it wasn't near as bad as most people make it out to be.  He was gone for about 9/10 months total, came home when A was 4.5 months old.  Then the island adventures began again. 

We got orders to Dover DE and left Okinawa Summer 09.  Can't even begin to tell you all the road trips we have taken since then!!!  My husband doesn't mind driving and thankfully our kids are used to it. 

He decided while in Japan that he would not stay in the military, there were many reasons behind that but mostly because what he does, pays so much more on the outside and he has great dreams for us as a family.  So once his end of service came, guess what..

WE MOVED TO FLORIDA!!! He got a job at the local electric company doing linework and that's where we are at now.  Starting out the life that we had been dreaming about for the last 8 years.  Hoping and planning and here it is.  It's amazing to have life go where you wanted it to go.  These next few years are not going to be easy financially but money isn't everything and right now is great proof of that.  We have what we need, we have always had what we needed and now we are where we want to be.  Life is great and our adventures will keep on coming around the corner, with him by my side and our children in their car seats.

I have said this again and again but my husband really is an amazing man, he served his country, works hard daily to make a better life for us, comes home and spends time trying to figure out what activity to do next.  He makes sure that we have passes for zoos and museums for our children, and he continues his education so that in the future we will be able to put our kids through college, so that they to can have a wonderful life.  I have been blessed with a great man, a strong steady, dependable man.  One that makes my heart swell at how proud of him I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment